Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Chocolate rum 'n raisin fudge

If I told you I've always loved the combo of rum 'n raisin, I'd be lying. It reminds me of the days my grandparents would come home from shopping and announce there was ice cream for dessert, only for me to later find out that it was rum 'n raisin flavour. The disappointment that tub of ice cream brought me was something I could only describe in a couple of days worth of therapy. It was a grown-up flavour that ruined a perfectly good scoop of ice cream, if you'd asked me!

But I was a pretty bright kid and with my insatiable sweet tooth, it didn't take me long to persuade my tastebuds to like it so I wouldn't have to skip dessert (I think the deadly sin 'glutton' is appropriate here!). Rum 'n raisin was reserved for the adults, it was sophisticated and I would feel rather classy (and clever) 'enjoying' it. So now, when I think of rum 'n raisin, I feel exactly that; classy. 

So here's a classy chocolate fudge recipe which feels like it should be stored in an antique tin. I'm pretty sure it would taste even better that way. 


Chocolate rum and raisin fudge
Makes 24

½ cup raisins
¼ cup rum (or 1 tsp rum essence in ¼ cup water)
400g dark chocolate, chopped
395g tin condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
50g butter or margarine

Line a 20cm square cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
Combine the raisins and rum and allow to stand for at least 1 hour.
In a heavy-based saucepan, combine the chocolate, condensed milk,  vanilla and butter and stir over a low heat until melted.
Increase the heat and stir for a few minutes until the fudge is smooth and thick. Stir in the raisin mixture.
Pour into the lined cake tin and refrigerate until set.

Cut into squares and store in an airtight container.


Remember to hop on over to Facebook and like my page for recipes and sweet stuff. I also tweet about some cool things every now and then and Instagram my bakes (if I remember to snap them before I devour them!) 

3 comments:

  1. No no no!!! Morning Kate, how can you do this to me???? How can you stay so slim with all these tjoklits??? I'm no so "lus" for that fudge!!! Keep sending the good stuff my way!! Still wait for the milktart receipe from grandma's book please!!!??? Have a nice day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha this message made me smile! Thank you so much! x

      Delete
  2. Wow! That fudge looks fantastic. I admire your will power to photograph them before devouring them all!

    ReplyDelete